June 8, 1998 – Idiotic and Embarrassing of me

Dear Family,

Hope everything is going well.  I had a good birthday.  I got the package from you all.  I also got a package from C.Y. and his family.  They always send me “the essentials,” if you know what I mean.

Today was a crazy day.  After playing volleyball, we were driving home two other missionaries.  My companion had found some waterguns in the apartment, and for the past week he’s been squirting everything.  He shot at a mother, and two of her kids, and I think that was too much for the Lord.  We got pulled over.  The guy was in his normal car, but just didn’t like it.  He took our names, and said it would cost us $75.00 a piece.  him, b/c he was shooting, and me, because I was driving.  I didn’t want him to shoot the water gun, but I was guilty because I didn’t make him stop.  This is a lesson I’ve always had a rough time with, being more assertive.  I remember in the MTC, the mission president’s wife said never sacrifice obedience for harmony.  Allow your companion to have flaws, but never allow them to be unrighteous, or disobedient flaws.  I didn’t obey this counsel, and now I’m going to pay for it.  I hope it will help me learn.  What’s worse, I got a speeding ticket last week also!  $72,00 for going 17 kilometers over the 70 km limit.  So I’m slowing down, too!

On a good note, the W family will be baptized tomorrow.  They’re a great family.  on another good note, President Hinckley will be up here on August 2.  We’re all hoping he’ll announce a mini-temple [in Edmonton], but we’re really not sure why he’s coming.  Needless to say, we’re all excited about it.

Hope all is well.

Love,

Elder Bettilyon

[Uggh. This is a pretty poor memory from my mission.  I remember this “officer” (I’m convinced now he was a security guard that somehow got me to pull over, I don’t remember how he got me to stop the car) made my comp go back and he interrogated him in his car for 5 minutes, then he made me go back there and get interrogated by him.  He asked me the most humiliating questions ever.  Where are you from?  Salt Lake City.  Why are you here?  I’m trying to teach people about my church.  Which Church?  The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.  You’re trying to be a good example, and you are letting this guy squirt a mom and her kids waiting for the bus?  Yeah, it’s pretty lame of me.  I really screwed up.  He kept it going for a while.

He scared us into stopping, going home, calling our superiors (zone leaders) and telling them about it.  We gave him our names and address so he could send a ticket, or something, and I thought we’d end up going to a hearing.  So we went home and obediently called the zone leaders and told them everything. 

Then, nothing ever came in the mail.  Whoever this man was, he was a good guy to stop a bunch of us idiots from being idiots.  How dumb.   And how much damage did we do because of our idiotic behavior?  Regret it still…

As for the speeding tickets, I ended up getting 2 speeding tickets and one illegal left turn ticket while in the field.  I’m still not sure why I didn’t get “ex’d” from driving, but so glad that I never did.]

No comments:

Counter and Ads!!!

Try #3, maybe it will work this time.